After updating windows audio stopped work on a Dell laptop. Thus also may work if the audio driver has a question mark when looking in the Windows device manager.
1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the “Sound, video & game controllers” and right-click on “Realtek High Definition Audio”.
3. Select to “Update Driver Software”.
4. Click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.
5. Click “Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer”.
6. Put a check in the box “Show compatible hardware” if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click “High Definition Audio” (the native driver).
8. Click “Next”.
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click “Yes” (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop.
You will now switch to the Windows default native “High Definition Audio” audio driver.
Use “generic software device” if “High Definition Audio” isn’t listed as an option.